Saturday, March 10, 2012

Could I be a voice actor?

Hi guys! I am an avid movie watcher %26amp; movie lover. I love reading %26amp; watching movies %26amp; interpreting stories and connecting with characters. I am involved in drama with my school and have been the Humorous Interpretation representative for literary competition for the past 2 years. I can quote pretty much every movie (especially Disney) that I've seen since I was 3 years old, can mimic easily, learn lines, and can do a variety of voices (including: British, Australian, French, Italian, Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride, Vector from Despicable Me, the carnival guy from Despicable Me, the dodo birds from Ice Age, the minions from Despicable Me, the priest with the lisp in The Princess Bride, Darth Vader, Harry Potter (haha), the vikings from How to Train Your Dragon, etc). I love everything about acting and movies %26amp; I would love to be a voice actor. Here are my questions:

1) do you have to be famous to become a voice actor?

2) how do you become a voice actor?

3) what qualifications are needed %26amp; where would I need to live?

4) how do you get discovered?

5) do you think I have what it takes to be a voice actor %26amp; would I be a good one?

I know this is a lot of info %26amp; a lot of questions, but I'm graduating high school in a little over a year and I just really need to know if this is worth pursuing. I really want to, but I need to know if it's practical (like could I support myself %26amp; my family) and etc. Thanks!Could I be a voice actor?
First thing you need is a talent agent, who will probably have yo submit some recording to him/her for consideration. No, you don't have to be famous, but these days voiceover work seems to get given to people with recognizable voices (Morgan Freeman snaps to mind immediately) so consumers identify the product with the voice of someone they feel they can trust (don't ask me why!). Ad of course you've seen who gets cast for big-budget films as voice actors for animated movies, right? Anyone whose name you DON'T Recognize? I didn't think so! That's not to say you can't get commercial or TV work, but you do need an agent for this as much as for any other professional acting work. So get yourself a copy of Variety, the most well-known and oldest trade publication. They will list agents and occasionally open auditions. It would be advisable to join both SAG (Screen Actors Guild) and Actors Equity for the cache those memberships would give you. Even if you're just looking to do voice-over work, get yourself some professional head shots and do up your stats and a resume with any credits you may have. That way you have something to submit to a talent agent. Because these kinds of jobs are as contractual as any acting job, you do NEED an agent, if for no other reason than to have someone with "ins" to the right people and places. The days of getting "discovered" haven't been around since Lana Turner got discovered at Schwab's...it just doesn't work that way anymore. You don't need to live anyplace in particular, though you would most surly have to travel to whatever jobs you might get. You would be best centered in a part of the country that does this type of casting, meaning East or West Coast, if you nwat to make yourself available readily, though. There are no qualifications for being a voice actor, other than the copious voice talents you say you already have. Maybe you've seen that story on TV about the homeless man Ted Williams who had this amazing speaking voice, got recorded by a local TV affiliate who aired his story, and now has more work than he can handle, including sports stadium announcing and Stouffer's TV commercials. See? It CAN happen. But I don't recommend doing it that way and making yourself homeless and going out on some street somewhere.

I hope this is helpful. I was raised in L.A. where it seemed everyone was an actor or connected in some way to the entertainment industry, but it's funny how most of them seemed to be waiting tables or working as cashiers! So I don't want to make this sound easy. It will take some personal and financial investment on your part. But the main thing is you have to want it and be willing to work for it and COMMIT! Seriously! Some of the so-called "actors" I knew in L.A. just didn't have the push in them to do anything more than TALK about it. Forget it if that's all you're willing to invest, and I'll bet from the sound of this it's not. So do your due diligence and make it work for you, kiddo!

No comments:

Post a Comment